Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Roadtrek Bathroom/Shower Re-engineering Project

This has been a huge project, but I am really happy with the result! The pictures bordered in light blue throughout this post are the "Before" images and the darker blue bordered are the new setup.

The idea with this mod was to combine the RT's already decent isle shower with the bathroom closet to give more room and make showering easier. The big obstacle in designing this project was the original bathroom was never designed to be a "wet" bathroom. The walls were not sealed or waterproof nor was the floor etc. See my last blog post for details of the build process.


The tilework wasn't a necessary thing at all, just something I wanted to do. One thing you can see from pic above right is the shower curtain "clinging" to the walls. One of the ideas I had before adding the FRP to the walls was to attach 3" wide metal strips on both sides vertically to provide a surface for magnets to stick to. The shower curtain has been modified as well with magnets on both sides and an overlapping flap on the front corner on the galley side to allow reaching through to shut the hot water heater off. The new faucet pictured is all metal instead of the plastic one it replaced. It was necessary for me to create the fitting that goes from the faucet to the shower hose. It is a combination of the original part supplied with the faucet to connect to a tube and a 1/2" pipe union cut in half then brazed to the original fitting. It came out quite perfect for the job and even looks okay.
From this picture you can get a little better idea of how the FRP panels look installed. All of them were cut with a jig saw after being layed out by transferring from paper templates I had created carefully. Two other things in this picture worth noting are the new storage location for the curtain and the endpoint for the track which I modified significantly. Also noticeable worth noting about this picture is the "horizontal bump" in the back wall. In the original version from RT, the top angled piece doesn't exist rather that is where the shelf attaches. Immediately under the shelf is this hump which is where the wire channel runs. I made the little ramp to keep water from settling on a little ledge.



The old curtain location was determined by the original track attached to the ceiling. This track was shaped in a way that created a full "surround" in the isle above the drain and below the vent fan.

With the track now modified the curtain now encloses the same area while including the newly modified bathroom providing much more room and offering the ability to sit for those who might like to shave their legs(not me, really!).
Hope the pictures give enough detail to understand how this all came out. I am very pleased with it. Hope the project also gives you some ideas.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Mike,great job!Hope you and Heidi have a great Valentines day. Greetings from the guys in the band. Rodney The Jester

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my son! Am I a proud Mom or what?! It looks great Mike-great job. My love to you and my wonderful daughter-in-law, Heide. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! am I jealous or what!!! Lovely job, i really like the tile work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freemind says...

    Awesome job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the jigsaw on FRP! Use a 4 inch angle grinder with cutoff wheel! Cuts way faster and cleaner than a jigsaw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon, Thanks for the comment! I finished the edge afterward with a 4" angle grinder with a sanding disk, but I much preferred the way the jigsaw handled the cut. It was much more controllable and this comes from someone who was a custom fabricator/welder for 26 years. I love angle grinders but with cutoff wheels, they don't do well on fairly tight radius turns at all. The diameter of the wheel interferes with the turn. The blades I used in the jigsaw were about 3/16 wide and about .040" thick so they worked very well on the turns.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete